The Social Security Administration has a free online tool called My Social Security. With this online app you can create a free personalized account, providing you with access to vital information and enabling you to benefit from its unique features.
What kind of information will my account provide?
- Your earnings history
- Personalized estimates of future benefits
- Your latest statement
- The amount you have paid into Social Security
What can I do with my account?
- Check your application status
- Set up (or change) direct deposit information
- Request a replacement Social Security card
- Get a Social Security 1099 form
- Get a proof of income letter
- Change your address
- Use a retirement calculator to estimate future benefits
- Choose communication preference (email, text, paper copy)
- Choose a representative payee
Why should I create an account?
It is quick, easy, and free to create an account and your account provides valuable information and tools. It is important that you take a look at the information and make sure the details are accurate, especially your earnings record. Your earnings history has a direct impact on the benefits you will receive. Check your account to update information as needed.
How do I create an account?
Visit My Social Security and click create an account. You will need to verify some personal information including your valid email address, your Social Security number, your U.S. mailing address, and your birthday proving you are at least 18 years of age. Then follow the instructions accordingly.
Financial Information vs. Financial Advice
The Social Security Administration (SSA) provides important important pertinent to your Social Security decisions. However, the SSA is not permitted to give you advice such as when to file for benefits. If you are approaching retirement, a Registered Social Security Analyst® (RSSA®) can provide you with that advice. Visit the RSSA website to schedule a free consultation with a RSSA®.Learn more about how a Registered Social Security Analyst® can help you