Unanswered Tax Questions

CPAs - answer tax questions, and introduce your practice to potential tax clients.
How does it work?

View All Tax Questions

Family Issues

Teens working

If my teens are employed do I still get to claim them since I am covering all their living expenses? Ages 17 and 18

Asked Monday, March 27, 2023 by Nicole F.
Sign in to Answer

Tax Filing Tips

Where list cash income

I'm 62, single, no dep., Unemployed, earn $7800 cash sell cords of wood. Paid no taxes. Which line on 1040 do I list this income. Do I qualify for EITC credit refund.

Asked Monday, March 27, 2023 by Jeffrey C.
Sign in to Answer

Where is My State Tax Refund?

2015 state tax issue

My tax preparer did not file my 2015 state tax return like she was supposed to I was unaware of this until they recently started garnishing my wages now so what do I do can I file a tax return for the state from 8 years ago and they'll stop garnishing my wages I don't know what to do

Asked Monday, March 27, 2023 by Shawna J.
Sign in to Answer

Personal Taxes

Do I have to pay taxes if I make less than $12k?

Can I stop having federal taxes withheld from my checks if I make less than $12k a year? -I file as a single dependent -I am 23 -I live in Georgia

Asked Monday, March 27, 2023 by Alyssa B.
Sign in to Answer


Balance sheet

In balance sheet, after the company made sales, where do we record the cost of sales in debit side, is it in cash account or inventory account? Thank you!

Asked Sunday, March 26, 2023 by Melque M.
Sign in to Answer

Personal Taxes

February 2023 repaid social security benefits; report 2022 form SSA-1099 information?

I requested suspension of my Social Security benefits and as required I repaid the received benefits. Suspension was granted in February 2023; do I need to report the information on my 2022 SSA form-1099 even though I repaid the benefits?

Asked Saturday, March 25, 2023 by Corina M.
Sign in to Answer

Personal Taxes

Can I file my little brother as a dependent?

A little background, my little brother is a full-time college student that makes no income. My first question is whether I can claim my brother as a dependent even though my parents also claim him as a dependent. My second question is, how will it impact my tax return if I claim him as a dependent and indicate my contributions as an expense?

Asked Saturday, March 25, 2023 by Avijit B.
Sign in to Answer

Personal Taxes

W4 question

I want to claim 1 on my w4 but it looks like they are taking more out when I do that. Is that correct?

Asked Saturday, March 25, 2023 by Alexa L.
Sign in to Answer


repayment of sick days paid by payroll error

my employer paid me 5 days of sick leave by mistake, I wasn't sick. I want my sick day accrual bank rebalanced, my employer offered me a solution that requires a total repayment to get my 5 sick days back. However, they paid me $1833.8 in total, $1188.37 of which went to pretax deduction, union due, pension, 457b plan, etc. $187.21 went to taxes, net pay was $458.22, what's the tax impact if I pay them back the whole amount? if I use my sick days in the future, I would be taxed again right? thanks!!!

Asked Saturday, March 25, 2023 by rui min l.
Sign in to Answer

Nonresident Tax Issues

Resident in 1 state, received unemployment and retirement cash out from another, do I file in both states?

Lived in WI all of 2022. Received unemployment from CA. The claim carried over from when I lived there in 2021. Claim ended mid 2022 when I only lived in WI. Cashed out retirement in 2021 from CALSTRS but received an additional check in January of 2022. Do I need to file income taxes in just WI where I was a resident or do I need to file in both states due to the income I received from unemployment and retirement from CA?

Asked Saturday, March 25, 2023 by Nicole M.
Sign in to Answer