If you are filing a joint tax return as a surviving spouse, you only need to file the joint tax return to claim the refund. If you are a court appointed representative, file the return and attach the certificate verifying your appointment. All other filers must file the return with IRS Form 1310. Speak to your local CPA about the filing requirements.
Interested in more Deceased Taxpayers Questions?
- When I remarry, will I lose the survivor benefits I receive from Social Security ?
- Are funeral expenses deductible on my personal income tax return?
- I am filing as a qualifying widow with a dependent child, What is the gross income amount to determine if I must file a tax return?
- How do I file my current year’s tax return if my spouse passed away during the year?
- How do I claim a refund for a deceased taxpayer?