Deceased Taxpayers

How do I file my current year’s tax return if my spouse passed away during the year?


You should file a "joint" tax return and include the deceased income earned and applicable deductions prior to your spouse's death. A joint return is filed by you and the executor or administrator. Do not include income earned after the date of death. This income is considered "income in respect of a decedent" and is taxed to the Estate or beneficiary receiving the income in the year of the receipt. The income must be reported by the Estate (if more than $600) on Form 1041. Speak to your local CPA about the personal and Estate tax returns that you need to file.
Answer Provided by: CPAdirectory

Share This Answer

Looking For More?

View all Deceased Taxpayers Questions

View More Questions