Some spouses have had problems with the IRS in the past and still owe the IRS taxes. When you file a joint return, you and your spouse are both equally responsible for the taxes owed on that return. Any refund you might have been entitled to could be used to pay your spouses existing liability with the IRS or the state. Lastly, some people do not want their spouse to be aware of all of their financial involvement.
Interested in more Married Filing Separately Questions?
- Filing married filing separately - gross income amount to determine filing a tax return
- I am legally married . Must I file a joint tax return ?
- I got married during the year. Can I still file as single for this year?
- Married filing Separately - benefits lost
- If I file married filing separately, can I use the standard or itemized deduction amounts?