If you are filing as married filing separately, both persons must file using either the standard or itemized deduction amounts. One spouse cannot use the standard deduction and the other use the itemized deduction amount.
Interested in more Married Filing Separately Questions?
- Filing married filing separately - gross income amount to determine filing a tax return
- I am legally married . Must I file a joint tax return ?
- I got married during the year. Can I still file as single for this year?
- Married filing Separately - benefits lost
- If I file married filing separately, can I use the standard or itemized deduction amounts?