Be sure to itemize any donations of clothing and household items that you made to charities throughout the year, as non- cash donations over $500 require you to file form 8283 with your return. Non-cash donations up to $500 do not need special documentation with the filing of your return.
Interested in more Five Last Minute Refund Tips Questions?
- Don't Overlook the value of the IRA deduction
- If you are self-employed, take advantage of an SEP plan
- Take the American Opportunity Credit if you have children in undergraduate college.
- Check to see if you have worthless stock or loans that are completely uncollectible
- If you itemize, don't forget the non-cash contribution deductions.