Filing Status & Requirements

Switch from married -filing jointly to married-filing separately


If a joint return was originally filed, you may not change to married-filing separate returns once the due date of the returns has passed.
If married-filing separate returns were originally filed, you have three years from the due date (without extensions) to switch to filing a joint return.
Answer Provided by: CPAdirectory

Share This Answer

Looking For More?

View all Filing Status & Requirements Questions

View More Questions