A qualifying child for the child tax credit must be a grandchild, son or daughter, adopted child or eligible foster child. That child must live with you and you claim her as a dependent and she is under age 17 at the end of the year and a citizen or resident of the US. If so, then you can claim her as a qualifying child for the child tax credit.
Interested in more Dependents & Exemptions Questions?
- When can a child decide which parent he or she will live with?
- My daughter turned 19 in December, Can I use her for the child tax credit calculation ?
- Can I claim a child tax credit for my grandchild that lives with me that I claim as a dependent ?
- Form 8332 - Noncustodial parent claim of children of ex-spouse
- What are the Uniform Transfer to Minors and Gift to Minors accounts ?