Maximize Your Social Security Benefits

Schedule a Free Consultation with an RSSA Social Security Expert

Business Formation

EIN question

Hello my son is starting an online resale company and we have decided to make an LLC where I’d be president and he’d be ceo . He is underage being 17 so my question is when applying for the EIN number do I put just my information or would his have to be put in as well and it come out to be a partnership?


Daniel, good question. To answer your question, I will make two comments.

First, because your son is underage, you should put just your information as the responsible party on the Form SS-4 (Application for Employer Identification Number) or its online equivalent on the IRS’ website.

Second, I think your question reveals some confusion. On the Form SS-4 (or its online equivalent on the IRS’ website), you should indicate that there will be two LLC members (you and your son). After filing the Form SS-4, if you take no further action to elect to treat the LLC differently for federal income tax purposes, then the LLC will be treated as a partnership for federal income tax purposes (because you told the IRS on the Form SS-4 or its equivalent that there will be 2 LLC members). If you want to treat the LLC as something other than a partnership (such as a C corporation or an S corporation), you cannot accomplish that goal just by filing the Form SS-4 or its equivalent. That would take a second step with a different form.

I hope that helps. Feel free to contact me if you wish to engage me to help. Even though I practice as a CPA in Texas, I have clients in other states.

Answer Provided by: personimage Adam Dickreiter

Share This Answer

Looking For More?

View all Business Formation Questions

View More Questions