Independent Contractors

Independent contractor - Forms to fill out


W-9, W-4 and employment understanding document should be filled out by all independent contractors.
If you’ve made the determination that the person you’re paying is an independent contractor, the first step is to have the contractor complete Form W-9 (PDF), Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification. This form can be used to request the correct name and Taxpayer Identification Number, or TIN, of the worker. A TIN may be either a Social Security Number (SSN), or an Employer Identification Number (EIN). The W-9 (PDF) should be kept in your files for four years for future reference in case of any questions from the worker or the IRS.
A penalty can be levied against you, the employer, for omission of this information on certain forms.
Answer Provided by: CPAdirectory

Share This Answer

Looking For More?

View all Independent Contractors Questions

View More Questions