The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - 10 Popular Tax Questions

Can I Deduct My Girlfriend Who Lives With Me?

Generally the answer is no. There are various tests that must be met for someone to be claimed as a dependent. One of the tests is the "relationship"test. If the person was a qualifying relative that you provided 50% support and they lived with you all the entire year and made less than $4,050 of earned income, then the answer could be yes.

If you need professional help with "10 Popular Tax Questions" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.