Head of Household

I am unmarried with a child. Do I file using the filing status single, head of household or widow(er)?


If you are unmarried at the end of the year, you may be able to file as a head of household or widower if you pay for more than 50% of the household costs for the child or relative that lives with you. You may file as a widow(er) if you became a widow(er) in the 2 prior tax years, and in the current tax year you paid more than 50% of the household costs for you and the dependent child. The tax rates for widow(er) and head of household are more favorable than filing as a single.
Answer Provided by: CPAdirectory

Share This Answer

Looking For More?

View all Head of Household Questions

View More Questions