Ask A CPA - Capital Gains & Losses
1. 2018-Long-Term Capital Gains and Qualified Dividends Tax Rates
2. 2018-Sale of Residence exclusion
3. Are stock short sales reported to the IRS ?
4. Basis for Inherited property
5. Capital Gains Tax Rates -2013
6. Capital loss carryover - married filing separate filing status
7. Cost Basis
8. Cost basis of house received at divorce settlement
9. Employee stock options
10. Form 1099-B: Cost Basis Categories
11. Goodwill - amortizable basis
12. How does the IRS know about my stock sales ?
13. Is my business bad debt limited ?
14. Is my non-business bad debt limited?
15. Is the exercise of my stock rights taxable to me ?
16. Is the gain I realized on the sale of my car taxable?
17. Is the stock I received in a stock split taxable?
18. Is the stock option I received from my company taxable ?
19. Is the total amount of the capital loss deductible?
20. Is there a time limit within to finish a tax free like kind exchange ?
21. Late December sale of stock - reportable in the current year or following year?
22. Like kind exchange - qualifications
23. Long term - Holding period
24. Long Term Capital Gains - taxed differently than wage income
25. Loss from buying and selling the same shares of stock in the same day
26. Loss on the sale of property - to family members
27. Mutual Funds - different methods of identifying
28. Prior year suspended losses - Installment method
29. Property sale - receiving payments in future years
30. Sale of inherited property
31. Sale of section 1244 small business stock - fully taxable?
32. Securities “Trader“ Losses
33. Securities Trader - “market to market” rules.
34. Selling expenses on sale of property
35. Short term stock gain - favorable lower capital gains tax rate?
36. Stock holding period - converted to another companies stock in a merger
37. Stock warrant conversion
38. Tax free like kind exchange - business inventory
39. Tax free like kind exchange - copyright
40. Tax free like kind exchange - goodwill
41. Tract of land sale - divided into lots, How do I determine the gain or loss
42. Trade date or settlement date - reporting stock sales
43. Wash Sale
44. What is a Call option, as it relates to stock and capital gains ?
45. What is a long term capital gain ?
46. What is a Put option , as it relates to stock and capital gains ?
47. What is a securities Short Sale?
48. What is a Wash Sale ?
49. What is the basis of property I received as a gift ?
50. What is the last day of the year I can sell a stock and take a loss?
51. What is the Striking Price, as it relates to stocks and capital gains ?
52. What is the tax consequence of receiving stock from my spouse as part of the divorce settlement?
53. What is the tax rate for stocks that are sold ?
54. Where do I deduct a loss on a like kind exchange of real estate ?
55. Why are my gross proceeds so high on my broker's statement?
56. Why don't my option sales appear on form 1099 ?
57. Worthless stock - 3 year or 7 year carryback
58. Worthless Stock - bad debt deduction?
If you need professional help with "Capital Gains & Losses" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.
District of Columbia CPAs
New Hampshire CPAs
New Jersey CPAs
New Mexico CPAs
New York CPAs
North Carolina CPAs
North Dakota CPAs
Puerto Rico CPAs
Rhode Island CPAs
South Carolina CPAs
South Dakota CPAs