The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Taxes - My Tax Return

1. Alimony - minimum payment period

2. Alimony - third year non-payment after divorce - recapture rule

3. Are funeral expenses deductible on my personal income tax return ?

4. Are my excess foster care payments tax deductible ?

5. Are NYC line of duty injury payments to police officers and firefighters taxable ?

6. Are the taxi fares I receive for working in an unsafe area, taxable to me ?

7. Are the unemployment checks I receive reportable on my tax return?

8. Are there any tax credits or refunds related to reparations for slavery ?

9. Are there any tax incentives in hiring a person with a disability ?

10. Are there favorable tax deductions for a SUV?

11. Are traffic tickets deductible?

12. Artists - Special rules

13. Can I claim my father-in-law who lives with me as a dependent?

14. Can I deduct the loss on the sale of my principal residence on my tax return?

15. Can I make installment payments on the amount I owe on my Federal Tax return?

16. Can I use income averaging on my tax return?

17. Can I use short form 1040A if the only capital gain distributions are from a mutual fund ?

18. Can I use the loss I received from a Partnership K- 1 that was generated from a Publically Traded Partnership to offset income from other K-1s.?

19. Can my Federal tax refund be used to pay other debts ?

20. Capital Gains Tax Rates

21. Do I have to file a Tax Return (children and other dependents)

22. Does a Power of Attorney stay in effect for more than 1 year ?

23. Does the IRS have assistance for taxpayers with disabilities ?

24. Form 1040 - what line is my Taxable Income?

25. Forms 1099 - attach to my tax return?

26. How could I have taxable capital gains on a mutual fund that is worth less today than it was last year?

27. How do I claim a refund for a deceased taxpayer?

28. How do I complain about the IRS actions in relation to my small business ?

29. How do I file my current year’s tax return if my spouse passed away during the year?

30. How do I get a copy of my tax return ?

31. How do I get New York City forms ?

32. How do I know if I am a Active participant in a retirement plan ?

33. How do I notify the IRS about my address change ?

34. How do I reflect the unpaid balance of the mortgage on the sale of business property?

35. How do I report misconduct and abuse by a IRS employee ?

36. How long does it take to get a trademark registered and how much will it cost ?

37. How long should I keep my important tax documents ?

38. How much of my Foreign Earned Income is excludable ?

39. In electronic filing, what is an ERO ?

40. In relation to divorce , what is community property ?

41. In relation to trade marks , what is a service mark ?

42. Interest Rates for the year 2013 for Individuals ?

43. Is a corporation with $4,000,000 in annual receipts liable for the Alternative Minimum Tax ?

44. Is my state a community property state ?

45. Is the costs of me driving to work deductible?

46. Is the insurance payments I made for embezzlement deductible?

47. Is there a limit to the amount I elect to rollover into a SSBIC ?

48. Is there a phone number to call to report someone who is not filing a Federal Tax return ?

49. Is there a special power of attorney form needed for my tax preparer to answer questions by the IRS ?

50. Is there a website to verify penalty calculations determined by the IRS ?

51. Leased auto - income inclusion

52. Margin interest - reportable to IRS ?

53. Social Security - Phone Number

54. Social Security Benefits Reduction - younger than 65 and earning wages

55. Tax Brackets and Rates - for each filing status

56. What are the Uniform Transfer to Minors and Gift to Minors accounts?

57. What documentation do I need to substantiate entertainment expenses?

58. What does community property mean?

59. What exactly is an Audit ?

60. What form do I report my like kind exchange on ?

61. What income tax bracket do I fall into?

62. What is a copyright ?

63. What is a IRS CP-2000 notice ?

64. What is a Keogh plan ?

65. What is a Patent ?

66. What is a REMIC?

67. What is a Roth IRA ?

68. What is a Trademark ?

69. What is Bond OID accretion ?

70. What is the AMT - Alternative Minimum Tax?

71. What is the Bonus depreciation limit for vehicles in 2011?

72. What is the IRS Mission ?

73. What is the IRS Publication that deals with Innocent spouse relief ?

74. What is the IRS Telefile system?

75. What is the phone number to call for IRS Tax Publications ?

76. What is the standard mileage rate for using my car for business

77. What percentage is the personal income taxes collected to the total federal revenues collected ?

78. What's the difference between a credit and a deduction?

79. Where can I find the per diem away from home meals and lodging rates for foreign countries ?

80. Where can I find U.S. tax assistance in Great Britain?

81. Where can I get information about becoming a licensed IRS tax preparer ?

82. Who can I contact if I feel I was discriminated against because of my age ?

83. Who must file a return - (not children)

84. Will the IRS ever waive penalties ?

85. With the introduction of so many tax software progams, doing your taxes seems so easy. Why should I use a CPA to prepare my tax return?

If you need professional help with "Taxes - My Tax Return" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.