The National Directory of Certified Public Accountants

Ask A CPA - Divorce - Dependents

1. Child as a dependent - living with divorced spouse

2. Child's medical expenses - child lives with divorced wife

3. If I have sole custody of my children after my divorce , who will have custody of them if I die?

4. If I live with my girlfriend and support her, can I claim her as a dependent?

5. If I pay child support, will I be entitled to claim the child as a dependent on my tax return?

6. Is Form 8332 the form I must file to claim my children as dependents on my tax return if they live with my ex-wife?

7. When can a child decide which parent he or she will live with and whether they will visit the other parent?

If you need professional help with "Divorce - Dependents" or have other tax questions, we can help you find a local licensed CPA for a free, no-obligation consultation.